Sunday, July 17, 2016

It could ALWAYS be worse


                                                                                    


     
        


      Today. It was pure hell. Often all it takes is a change of perspective to take a negative moment and turn it into a positive experience.
        My husband and I were charging forward with the restoration of the hardwood floors in the bedroom we are currently working on. The process has been long and we have spent many nights with little sleep in order to make progress while the children sleep. Recently we finished the floors. They look gorgeous and I could not be more proud. Finally we saw light at the end of the tunnel. One major milestone has been accomplished. My husband turned to me the following night while we admired our work and stated, "I should have this all done in two weeks." Whoo woo I thought to myself. It has already taken months just getting to this point. However a small part of me had doubts. I took a mental assessment of the room only to realize the walls all still need another coat of paint to cover the splattered stain on the walls. A window plus a closet still need trim. The baseboard needs to be cut, installed, and primed. Once the trim gets a coat of prime, it still needs to be painted.

            Have you ever had "one of those days or weeks?" You know the kind where you go into survival mode and just keeping chugging along but everything on the inside wants TO SCREAM OUT AND USE SOME PROFANITIES?!!!! It is like taking a bucket of water and at different moments the stress is equivalent to adding more water to the bucket. The bucket keeps filling up until it gets so full it all has to come pouring out. The bucket is at its max level and cannot possibly take anymore.

         Many people know our situation with our house and the current state of repair. So often I have heard the statement, "Gosh I don't know how you do it." To be honest, I do not. I do not cope well on any level. What people typically see is my happy go lucky attitude followed by a huge smile that forces my eyes to close. On numerous occasions that smile has caused several photographers to ask me to smile less in order to keep my face visible for pictures. However my husband, the man who spends the most time with me in a private setting is fully aware that that smile fades. There are sad days. There are days where the bucket spills over and I say things I regret. I struggle to cope and feel my shoulders cannot possibly take one more day of trying to accept that better days are coming. My outlook on life and my most used phrase is, "it could always be worse." I truthfully believe that however I am still human and stress is a major Debbie downer for my life when it accumulates.


      Here we are three weeks later. Not one more thing has been completed in the bedroom. There the room still sits with gorgeous wood floors I am forced to walk by daily. The floors do look wonderful yet the room is bare. I still see unfinished projects and it has become a thorn in my flesh. I keep thinking about how we are going into living in this house for the second year. Given a lot has been done but not one room has been completed in its entirety. I cannot decorate and all of my photos and decorations all sit throughout our house or in our attic. It is beyond frustrating. We are unable to have people over to visit and our house is not a place for birthday celebrations or for a chat. It is dusty. I currently have a table saw sitting in what should be our living room. On top of that, I have major OCD about clutter and cleanliness. Here and in this state, cleaning my house only goes so far. Maybe others would not see the dirt in the cracks from where one floor ends and another floor begins but I do. I know it exists and it eats away at me.

       Then to make matters worse my three girls have all been sick for the last two days. There has been a lack of sleep along with days full of shrieking, crying and just down right poor decision making.  There is the child who recently discovered how to take her diaper off. She seems quite proud of herself and so were we. Each time she would smile big and clap for herself along with the expectation that we should clap as well. We did, except now I regret that encouragement. Today she took her diaper off. It was followed by her peeing all over herself and my floor. It scared her half to death so she tried running away from the liquid flowing down her leg. Her lack of coordination caused her to slip and fall flat on her back in a puddle of pee. It was a mess. Life did not stop. My other daughter at some point throughout the day decided today of all days was a great day to bring her chicken inside the house. I heard the clucking noises from upstairs. I went to investigate only to find a rouge chicken without anyone around. I discovered my daughter quietly playing with Legos and apparently forgetful to the fact that she had brought "Rosie" indoors. It did not stop there. Rosie pooped on our kitchen floor. My daughter thought using her hand to clean up Rosie’s poop followed by wiping it off on her shirt was the perfect remedy. By that point, I wanted to throw in the towel and call it a day.

      A huge part of me wanted to quit but I am a parent that cares a whole awful lot. I forced myself to apologize to my girls for a lack of patience and for the things I regretted saying throughout the day.  While doing so, my daughter spoke up and told me, "Mom, it's like you tell us. This doesn't change anything. We still love you to the moon." Boom! There in that moment I discovered grace from the heart of a child. It was powerful and inspiring.
   
        I know that my three little's depend on me. I am part of their whole world. They look to me for encouragement, love and support and that fact is the reason why I don't lock myself in a room and give up. We might have taken the easy route for the rest of the night which meant they did not get a bath or I did not whip up a home cooked meal. I may have even had a meltdown and cried feeling sorry for myself while expressing to my husband my distaste for this house and all of the unfinished projects. However I know my girls did eat even if it was chips with cheese, salsa and beans. They did put on clean pajamas to go to sleep at night with their freshly brushed teeth. If the truth be told I felt thankful that we all made it through the day safe and still alive.

        I have to constantly remind myself that even if my life may not be perfect, there are many aspects of my life that is way better than how it could be. It is a terrible fact to know that I have parents who never call to ask how I am doing. I have parents who never attended my wedding or showed up for my college graduation. Although that is nothing new, it still hurts to know that while some people grieve for their dead parents who actively played a role in their lives, I frequently grieve for parents that are alive and choose to not be a healthy or active part of our lives. My husband and I navigate through this life and journey alone. We have his mom who helps us with the children. Besides the love of our friends, we do not have a supportive family that helps regularly to pick up the slack. We do this together and as our own little family. That fact is tough to swallow at times and yet I know the blessings.
        Our children go to sleep at night with a roof over their head and their bellies full. They never have to question the devotion my husband and I have towards them. I tell them daily how much they are loved, adored and explain to them that they are valuable. I never want them to question their worth. My children will never have to figure out how to whip up Mac & Cheese to feed themselves around the age of 5 years old. I have got their back and will always be there regardless of what decision they make or do not make. I will always love them to the moon. They will never have to deal with a split home or yearn for their dad’s attention. Their dad always coaches their soccer games and he shows up to every parent teacher conference or school event regardless if he just came off of a 12 hour night shift. My husband and I do everything in our power to be good parents to our children because our past has encouraged us to be better people FOR OUR CHILDREN.
     There is so much people see, judge or question and yet people never know all those private moments. People always see how great a person’s life might be because they fail to see at what price the blessings cost. Behind closed doors those daily struggles still exist. I have to pray my heart out daily and allow myself to take times out for myself. In doing so, people outwardly see my huge smile that forces my eyes closed. By God’s grace I continue to maintain joy and a willingness to push forward daily. Despite days like today full of slippery floors of urine and poop I know that "it could always be worse".

       

2 comments:

  1. You are doing an amazing job as a wife, mother and friend! God will fill in the gaps when we fall short! Well done my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words Shelley!

      Delete