Friday, June 17, 2016

Curiosity Killed The Cat



Last week I wrote a blurb about our current project. I will have to upload that blurb later in order to get you caught up with our journey. Those thoughts relate to the hard wood floors that were discovered underneath the carpet in a bedroom for our two daughters. We were lucky enough to obtain this free carpet with the purchase of the house almost like a buy one get one free. Really nothing is free. The item is solely a throw in deal because it wouldn’t sell otherwise.
The first layer was a cream colored carpet which was layered over top of a repulsive green colored carpet designed for the outdoors. Apparently it was on sale at some point so the previous homeowners took a gamble and threw that steal of a deal in an upstairs bedroom. The only issue is, it reeked as if its outdoor design reminded ole’ Fido of nature and fire hydrants. I hope you get my drift.  The truth is it had been peed on numerous times.
 I was beyond thrilled when my dear husband heard me mention the stench for the last time. I found him late one night working in the bedroom. He was excited to see me join him because my appearance usually means that instead of sleeping, I am going to jump right in and start helping. Our projects turn into quality time spent together where we discuss whatever comes to mind. Working with hammers, nail guns, dust and whatever remodeling involves is not exactly my idea of a romantic dream date. However for two adults with obvious signs about us that screams parenthood, I am willing to pull my hair out (or up) and run some power tools just to be with him.
Together we ripped up the first layer of carpet and then the second. Although our curiosity did not kill any cats, it did give us a moment of joy with the discovery of the hardwood flooring. The floor was painted with several colors. It was in rough shape but I felt the floor had character which I also explain in my other blurb I already referenced.
The paint we discovered over the wood flooring fascinated me. I could not stop wondering what would possess anyone to hide wood flooring with paint. The search for an answer motivated me to do some research.  I discovered that paint became popular for the interior of homes during the 18th Century and the trend carried over onto the flooring. The information helps to explain the reasoning for our painted floors. You can read more about the history of wood floors at;
I love learning and the author from the link describes how the first wooden floors in colonial America were wide, thick planks cut from old-growth forests. Turning timber into usable flooring was an intense process that required two men working together while pulling at opposite ends of a long-bladed saw.  The ordeal would have required both individuals to work as a team. That knowledge alone allowed me to take a step back and view our stucco house from a new found perspective. At one point, someone did care about this house and many hours alone had been spent on the floors. Without a doubt the floor is worth bringing back to life.
The process to bring the floor back has not come easy. We have since gone through a few stages of sanding while tired after putting in long hours once our children have gone to bed. The process has also included many moments where we grate on each others nerves. My mind has often considered a Spork.  You know one of those plastic utensils that's half spoon, half a fork. I could use one so I can scoop out his eyes all while giving him a good shank. I mean really, who in their right mind signs up for this type of adventure willingly? We must be noobs. There has also been the frequent pain of stepping on another staple or nail despite the hundreds we have already removed. The minute we think we got them all, I step down only to end up with a bloody foot. Yes, I do in fact love being bare foot even though I know shoes would help to avoid that problem.
 The floors have yet to be stained but we have narrowed down our choices. Walking into a store to pick out a stain color was more than overwhelming. It was like asking a person to pick out their ice cream flavor from numerous buckets underneath those glass windows with nearly 30 rainbow colored choices. One is always left questioning whether or not you made the right choice or whether you should have chosen the chocolate instead of your go to favorite, Moose Tracks.  I wanted to scream from the mental dilemma the choices secretly caused within my mind.
After much deliberation and image comparisons online, my husband and I selected three different stains. The brand is Minwax and we tested three pieces of the tongue and groove floor to compare the differences. The stain color choices are Honey, Gunstock and English Chestnut. 
Each one looked very similar until they dried. The three stains each developed their own color such as a red, yellow and a brown hue. An application of Varathane, a floor finisher helped to highlight each board’s grain differently with each being equally beautiful. The final vote was a tough one to make but my husband and I actually chose the same one. That was a painless agreement that did not involve drawing straws. I say that jokingly because we all know in reality, mamma gets her way regardless of straw lengths. Right women? Sorry men, you know the drill.
 Our choice is English Chestnut for the floor. I will post the results here soon. I say soon because we are still attempting to complete that task. However, thanks for reading and come back soon for more updates.

-Sarah  



4 comments: