Friday, June 17, 2016

It Ain't Over Till It's Over



To help get you up to speed with our current situation let me start off with a little background history. Deep breath. Okay here we go. 
Rodney and I sold our very nice house three years into our marriage.
Our first house
We ran head on into some major problems and knew it was a sacrifice for the greater good. A few years passed and we bought a cheap house off the foreclosure list towards the end of 2014. We had big, big dreams and lots of motivation despite the houses current condition.
There are very few things I share publicly about hiccups in my life but let me just say that if you ever get a light bulb that flashes with envisions of going down our same path, run like hell and do not let the door hit you on the way out. It has not been easy to say the least.
Nuts that fell from the ceiling
I truly believe our faith in God keeps us from dragging each other out back. The process of remodeling a worn out house that faced years of neglect has been long, dusty, expensive and way worse than we ever anticipated. The crazy stories are endless and I could entertain people for hours with things such as discovering locks on the interior doors as if the previous owners locked someone or something inside. Then there was the time my husband poked the ceiling that was bowing down only he ended up with piles of nuts that fell down on his head. There's also the grand memory of when we only had a few weeks to move in and his friends were all over helping him. I left to run errands and came back hours later to find they had unexpectedly gutted the majority of the house. My husband almost died that day. 
            November of this year will mark two years in this house. Although we have gutted 90% of the house and redid all the plumbing, electricity, installed new dry wall plus fixed and updated many other major issues, it feels as if visually hardly anything has been done. My heart yearns to have a house again that lacks constant projects, noises from an air compressor running or nail guns, hammers or the constant tools found lying around. This journey continues to test my faith, patience and at times the idea of living in a tent sounds way more relaxing than here. However, I feel that after almost two years of struggle we finally found a gem. Hidden underneath two layers of nasty carpet existed a hardwood floor. It is not perfect. It needs work, repair and some boards replaced but each dent and scratch has a story. Each mark exist from years of being in place and from holding strong against resistance. The floor still needs sanded and refinished but we are choosing to keep it. The floor is the only remaining piece of this house still of value that is even worth keeping.
It reminds me of life, my husband and marriage. Our lives are hit with constant pressure and trials. More often than not I find people give up, makes excuses, blame others or find an escape. What if we all learned to navigate through the dents and dings with our faith holding strong and believe that better days are coming while attempting to learn from every trial? Never giving up is the true testimony and like that hard wood floor buried beneath layers of ugliness all it takes is someone to see the hidden beauty.
Someone once told me a great thought to consider about trials. In life we have three choices. In the face of adversity you can give up, walk away or fight. We refuse to give up or walk away from this house (major pain in my rear) because we believe in it. We see its potential and just like my husband and I, we believe in each other regardless of how hard some days might be. We chose to stand and fight. Giving up, with God’s grace has never been an option. I've learned over the years that instead of seeing his flaws sometimes I have to face my own. The more I improve, the more he does as well. Like most people, despite flaws there are many good traits hidden under life's dents and dings. I just wish more people would be willing to weather the storm and stick it out through those trials. If so, one day more could see the fruits of their labor.
I am not perfect by any means nor claim to be. In all honesty I still swear and curse this house but I believe in the future verses just what today brings. I wish more people could keep the faith and not give up so easily. When people do, they miss out on so many hidden treasures.
 
Found in the roof rafters




-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment